Wednesday, September 03, 2008

One sock down ...

Last night I completed the first sock of the pair of Spring Thaw Socks. There is absolutely nothing boring about knitting this pattern. Just as you are about to complete one leaf, you have to start the next one. On the leg portion of the sock, one may be working on as many as three leaves at once, all at different stages in the chart.
For the first time, since this is the first time I've knitted socks toe-up, I bound off at the top of the sock. The pattern called for using the tubular bind-off. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out the tubular bind-off, and a bit more of a challenge to ensure that the sock top would fit around my leg. I measured my calf and then found a can (a tuna can) in the pantry that had the same circumference as my calf. I bound off most of the sock making sure I left it somewhat loose, and then inserted the tuna can and completed binding off. It worked well.
Now, what will I do for the other sock? Because I have lymphedema, my left leg is 4 inches larger at the sock top than my right leg. I may have to go up a needle size on the leg of the left sock. I don't usually have to make any adjustment; however, as I've said before, this is the first pair of toe-up socks I've made.

No comments: